Saturday, December 23, 2006

My first pattern...

I've had one or two people compliment my work on the skull cap I made(thank you!) for my cousin for Christmas, sooooooo..... Here's the pattern!

I used a 4ply worsted weight yarn(Walmart Mainstays Brand's soft burgundy, and Red Heart Brand's light grey and dark grey) and an 1/9-5.50 MM hook. It fit's my hubby and he has a slightly larger melon than the average person, but he also requested that when I make him one, I add a row or two... You be the judge. This pattern works up so quickly that, if after finishing it you discover you need to make adjustments, you can make the second one in the same day!

Foundation Round: With burgundy, ch 4. SS into first ch to join and make a loop. ss in loop.
Round 1: ch 3(counts as first dc now and throughout). 9 dc in ch 4 loop. ss to top of ch 3 to join. 10 dc
Round 2: ch 3. dc in same st. 2 dc in each st around. ss to top of ch 3 to join. 20 dc
Round 3: ch 3. 2 dc in next st. *dc in next st, 2 dc in next st. Repeat from * eight times more. 30 dc
Round 4: ch 3. dc in next st. 2 dc in next st. *dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st. Repeat from * eight times more. 40 dc
Round 5: ch 3. dc in next 2 sts. 2 dc in next st. *dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st. Repeat from * eight times more. 50 dc
Round 6: ch 3. dc in each st. 50 dc
Round 7: ch 3. dc in next 3 sts. 2 dc in next st. *dc in next 4 sts, 2 dc in next st. Repeat from * eight times more. 60 dc
Rounds 8, 9, & 10: dc in each st. Change colors in last dc of round 10 to dark grey. Do not fasten off burgundy! Just let it hang, you'll pick it up again in another round or so. 60 dc
Round 11: In back loops only(this is the only row you'll do this!), sc in each st. Change color in last sc to burgundy. Do not fasten off dark grey! Just let it hang, you'll pick it up again. 60 sc
Round 12: Working in both loops this time, sc in each st. Change color in last sc to light grey. Do not fasten off burgundy, blah, blah blah... I'm sure you get the point by now. 60 sc
Round 13: sc in each st. Change color in last sc to dark grey. Don't fasten off. 60 sc
Round 14: sc in each st. Change color in last sc to light grey. Don't fasten off. 60 sc
Round 15: sc in each st. Change color in last sc to burgundy. Fasten off, leaving a long tail to weave in. 60 sc
Round 16: sc in each st. Change color in last sc to dark grey. Do not fasten off. 60 sc
Round 17: sc in each st. Change color in last sc to burgundy. Fasten off, leaving a long tail to weave in. 60 sc.
Round 18: sc in each st. Fasten off and weave in the ends!

Please let me know if there are any errors or if something doesn't seem right. Like I said before, I altered the boy beanie pattern from S-n-B Happy Hooker. That pattern wasn't big enough(the hat ended up being child sized) and it had a tendency to scootch up off my ears, even after I made it bigger. So I did the entire bottom in sc to make it a bit tighter. Hope you like it! Feel free to comment!

No comments: