Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cast On Knitting Scout Badges

Yay! Despite my being a newbie knitter, it seems that I'm really making progress... maybe I should stop referring to myself as a "newbie" now... I found these scout badges (pictured in my side bar under Fun Stuff). Here are the the brief stories behind the badges I've earned; in order of appearance in my side bar...

  • The "Proselytize Knitting" Badge - Seriously... I don't need to explain myself here... I carry my knitting in my purse with my keys, wallet, and checkbook... My friends and family wonder what's up when I don't have yarn with me...
  • The "MacGyver" Badge (Levels One & Two) - Proud to say that I have used my rings (wedding, engagement, and Nana's diamond) as stitch markers... as well as paper clips, safety pins, bobby pins... And I've also used safety pins (very large ones) as stitch holders. On the flip side of that... We own a rather old console TV (I love it and refuse to upgrade, besides... I'm not much of a TV person anyway... I just like that I can put stuff on it, makes it functional for me) that is missing it's on/off button, there's just a small hole where it used to be (I'm sure you know where I'm going with this one). I've been using a size 2 metal DPN to turn the TV on and off. So does my family.
  • The "Knitting Whilst Under The Influence" Badge - Anyone that knows me well knows that I rarely (as in once or twice a year) drink anymore (you wouldn't either if the love of your life was a recovering alcoholic). But there is that occasional weekend away that I'll have one... or ten. And where I go, my yarn follows... I've been known to tackle projects that result in my wondering what the hell I was thinking...
  • The "I Will Impress You With My Math Prowess" Badge - Long before knitting was a part of my life... I was deemed a math whiz... a smarty pants... a nerd... I've only been knitting for a few months now, but I've already tackled knitting up my own patterns! Woot!
  • The "Knitting Has Forced Me To Seek Medical Attention" Badge (Level One) - Carpel Tunnel Syndrome... was at the Doctor's Office recently for it... seems to be getting worse since I learned how to knit...
  • The "I've Knit Items With No Conceivable Practical Application" Badge - I knit what I thought would be a very cute winter hat for my daughter... except I knit it with not-so-warm yarn and it was just too small (and not because I screwed up the gauge either) to be any use against New England winters... I finally just faced that fact that I knit it for the sake of knitting it (I thought it was pretty). I ended up frogging it...

Let's see if I ever earn any other badges!!!

Knit on All!



No comments: